Friday, May 2, 2008

He's in Top Form, Folks

So yesterday I get to work and drive down to the truck gate and the site supervisor is down there, whom I am relieving so he can go home for the day. As soon as I pull up a black car with a woman pulls up behind me and my boss says, "Here, hand these to the Boss". I said OK and gave her the envelopes and after I closed the door I asked who she was. He said, "She's the BOSS". I said, "and who is that?" he said, "the Boss". I asked, "What's her name, who is the woman in the car? Is that Amy or someone from Ford?" Finally, he told me, "That was Amy. What? You've never met her before?....Ira....Mark..." Yeah, he started rambling on about something and trailed off. I told one of the truck drivers that came in about it and he laughed and said that it was the same way at his office. He said he'll ask the boss a question and the boss will say he doesn't know and it's like, "What do mean you don't know? You're the BOSS!!" It would seem to me that the more of an idiot you are and cover it up by not giving someone a straight answer defines leadership. The better you are at this, the higher up you go. Murphy's Law states that in individual will rise to his highest level of incompetence...and remain there. Therefore, if you are highly incompetent, you too can become a site supervisor, account manager, mayor of Detroit, or even good ol' president of the USA! Here's a question for you: if I'm not right, how come we haven't had any Nobel Prize winning presidents in our history? Those people are highly competant. Our company moto is "Do the Right Thing" and they claim to have been "doing the right thing" since the early seventies but it's not what you think. It's all for show. Back in the early seventies when the company started there was a huge deal with civil rights so my company decided to write a policy and a code of ethics regarding this. There's NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS I want to make that clear, but they did it because it was popular not because it was the right thing to do. When i applied for this job they told me on the website that there was an extensive process I had to go through including a 40 page application, references, background check, and formal interview. They said that they pay competitive wages as well and that because of this they have one of the lowest turnover rates in the indstry and that this allows them to hire the best of the best. As far as getting hired, all I did was make a phone call asking if they were hiring. They said yes, so I showed up for about seven hours of paperwork that included about three hours of driving time to different locations for a drug screening and fingerprinting. After I was officially hired, I sat through even more videos and paperwork. Now here's the funny thing: I did this all at the account managers office and never met her. Her being Amy. It will be a year in September that I've worked here and I've never officially met her. When she pulled up and I handed her the envelopes, I said, "Here ya go." She said "have a good afternoon" I said, "You too." and that was the end of it. Lets count the words we've spoken to each other: me: five words, her: 4. I find it interesting that I've spoken more words to her and never met her officially. She's the account manager for crying out loud and she can't even take the time to return phone calls, emails, or stop by just because she wanted to meet a new hire, or even someone that's been there for some time now. OK, now I'm getting down right nasty about it.

No comments: